The Sea of Scopello - Sicily

Scopello is a coastal village. The first settlement dates back to the Ellenistic Age, then the Roman and Islamic ones. During the Norman periodi it was a Crown property. In the 13th century the emperor Frederick II of Swabia granted Scopello’s land to Oddone de Camerana, a Piedmontese, and to the Lombard knights who arrived in Sicily with him. In 1237 Oddone di Camerana and his Lombard knights moved to Corleone, and the emperor gave Scopello as a feud to the town Monte San Giuliano (now Erice).

Related: